Association News<< back to Association News
TBI Winners! Best Tri Events, Videos, Published Articles & Photographs
Author: Jan Fambro
Ron Smith Award and Steve Hed Award for Innovation
Dallas, TX – January 23, 2017 – Triathlon Business International (TBI) announced the Triathletes Choice Best-of Events (large, small, beginner and bucketlist); best product and event videos; the best published triathlon article and picture; the Ron Smith Award winner; and the Steve Hed Award for Innovation at its TBI/ACTIVE Network Awards Celebration dinner last night as part of TBI’s 7th annual conference January 22-24 in Dallas, TX.
Best Triathlon Published Article and Image in 2016:
- (Photo) Winner: Shot at 2016 IRONMAN Kona, Donald Miralles, shooting for LAVA magazine. Second place went to Rich Cruse, a Challenged Athlete Foundation photo shot at San Diego Triathlon Challenge; and third place went to Bob Kupbens, shooting at IRONMAN Kona for Competitive Image
- (Article) Winner: “Brothers in Iron” by Brad Culp, published in LAVA magazine. Second, “High Speed Thrills on Two Wheels,” by Jay Prasuhn, for LAVA magazine. Third place was “The Golden Moment,” by John Rosengren, USA Triathlon magazine.
Triathlete’s Choice Best Events of 2016 – Voting was conducted through Survey Monkey with more than 3,200 voters making their opinion known:
- Large event (1,000+) = IRONMAN 70.3 Atlantic City 70.3
- Small event (less than 1,000) = Tri the Wildwoods
- Intro Event for Beginners = Tri the Wildwoods
- Bucketlist Event = Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon
Best Product and Event Video
- Best product video went to “How does 4X Triathlon World Champion Mirinda “Rinny” Carfrae Recover? With Chocolate Milk.” Produced by Weber Shandwick/Chicago for the Milk Processor Education Program
- Best event video went to “Escape from Alcatraz, Thank You for a Great Year, 2016 Participants!” produced by IMG Action Sports
Announced earlier, but presented during the evening celebration, were the Steve Hed Award for Innovation to Richard Bryne, founder of SpeedPlay, and the Ron Smith Award to Valerie Silk, affectionately known as the mother of IRONMAN.
The TBI Conference continues through lunchtime on Tuesday, Jan. 24 and provides wide-ranging and timely information and discussion for everyone involved in the business and sport of triathlon, and the related sports of cycling and running.
About Triathlon Business International
Triathlon Business International is the worlds leading organization dedicated to promoting the sport and business of triathlon. Founded by a coalition of industry leaders, TBIs mission is to leverage the knowledge, talent, and resources of the leaders in triathlon to the benefit of the sport by increasing and retaining advocates of triathlon and fostering a positive image of the sport. Follow TBI on Twitter and Facebook.
<< back to Association News
- Help Grow the Industry Team up with industry leaders to guide the future
- Help Your Business Learn best practices, latest trends, share ideas
- Help Grow the Sport Work together to attract more participants to the sport
TBI is a multisport industry organization of businesses and individuals who support the growth and success of triathlon as a business and a sport.
Toward a Common Vision
January 13, 2017