Association News<< back to Association News
TBI Releases Summary Results of its 2017 TBI Business Confidence Survey
Author: Jan Fambro
AUSTIN, TX – February 14, 2017 – Triathlon Business International (TBI), the industry organization dedicated to promoting the sport and the business of triathlon, today announced the results of its 3rd Business Confidence Survey. Conducted by MultiSport Research Ltd., the survey results reflected the discussions at the recent TBI Conference in Dallas where conference attendees shared concerns, challenges and solutions about a flat multisport market.
"The 2017 TBI Industry Confidence Index does have a generally downbeat feel, with industry respondents pointing to a flat market, particularly in terms of triathlon participation rates,” said Gary Roethenbaugh, Director at MultiSport Research. “Even though the industry sentiment on customer demand levels has dropped over the past 12 months, this index category has kept positive in 2017 when compared with the 2015 benchmark year. This points to a marketplace with an underlying base of engaged and spending athletes/consumers.”
A few of the out-takes of the Study include:
- With an index score of 101.7, when compared with the baseline year of 2015, customer demand has kept positive overall. It is the second most positive data point in the 2017 TBI Industry Confidence Survey (after household finances).
- In 2016, pricing was hovering around a more positive mood, with an index score of 101.4. This year, the combined index score has shifted down by 3.7 points to 97.7.
- Into 2017, the mood on the economy remains downbeat. Even though there has been a slight pickup in this index category when compared to 2016, it remains the lowest point on the index when referenced with the baseline year of 2015. The 2017 index on economic conditions stands at 88.9, up slightly on 85.5 in 2016.
“As an industry voice, TBI is pleased to invest in this type of research for its members,” said TBI president Richard Adler. “Data for each year and the year-over-year comparative data can help all categories of multisport businesses calibrate their expectations and plan for the future.”
The inaugural Confidence Survey was implemented in January 2015 and provided a baseline for the data gathered in January 2016, and now 2017. Participants in the survey included a cross-section of the sport, including retailers, manufacturers, event producers, service providers and triathletes. All Survey respondents received a summary report of the findings, and TBI members receive the full report including the data sets. Non-members can purchase the full report for $450.
Survey participants responded to 13 online questions that encompassed their impression of: customer demand; staffing levels; personal/household finances; product/service pricing; profits; growth/business of the sport; business competition; and U.S. economic conditions, including the 2016 presidential election. Survey responses were aggregated to create a picture of the 2017 multisport business landscape and then compared to the 2015 and 2016 data collected for the same questions.
# # #<< back to Association News
- Help Grow the Industry Team up with industry leaders to guide the future
- Help Your Business Learn best practices, latest trends, share ideas
- Help Grow the Sport Work together to attract more participants to the sport
TBI is a multisport industry organization of businesses and individuals who support the growth and success of triathlon as a business and a sport.
Raising the Women's Game
March 15, 2017